Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a Risk Manager in Singapore.
RISK MANAGEMENT EXPERT
Tel.: +65 XXXX XXXX | Email: email@example.com | Nationality: Singaporean
- Risk Manager with 15 years of global and regional experience in Operational Risk Management, Credit Risk, Compliance, Policy Interpretation and formulating risk frameworks for new products within the banking industry
- Achieved zero defaults (NPL) whilst managing risk for 5 billion USD portfolio in FI & Corporate Credit as Operational Risk Manager at JP Morgan
- Deep understanding of transactional banking products. Experience in Structures / Product Programs in Trade Finance, Structured Finance (Aircraft, Shipping), Fixed Income (Bonds), Rates and Currencies (Swaps, Options, CLN, CDS), Basel II (FSA)
- Strong attention to detail in compliance policy interpretation. Ensured no regulatory violations of Basel II & Basel III over 4 year period at Standard Chartered Bank
- Exceptional leadership skills, strong in driving change, thrives in highly pressurised working environment and capable of working round-the-clock to meet organisational objectives
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Quantifying the current role where possible also helps to give scale to the current responsibilities.]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Regulatory Controls & Compliance||Operational Risk Management|
|FI, FX, and Trading||Credit Risk Management|
|Basel II Risk Governance||Credit Portfolio Analytics|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key risk management phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
STANDARD CHARTERED BANK, SINGAPORE
- Lead team of 50 professionals in managing full spectrum of risks associated with global banking operations [Opening line perfectly summarizes the candidate’s current role as it speaks about the size of the team and primary responsibility.]
- Liaise with other business areas globally including Treasury, Product Control, IT, Statutory Reporting, Operations and the Barclays Group Regulatory and Treasury to ensure policies satisfy local regulations while meeting business objectives [This line demonstrates strong communication, coordination, and management skills of the candidate.]
- Provide advice on RWA optimization and credit risk issues pertaining to Solutions Structuring team deals originated by colleagues, regardless of country of origination
- Responsible for ensuring compliance to Capital Regulatory Rules & Basel II / III regulations
- Consistently rolled out new risk management frameworks as per assigned schedules. Attained all management KPIs for 6 consecutive quarters
- Drove implementation of the bank’s new Operational Risk Framework across business and functions around the globe, reducing risk by 85% in line with overall business strategy [Talk about your contributions (and the approaches you took on to achieve them) to the company and how it affected the operations in the relevant locations where possible]
- Executed RWA-efficient structuring of over 700 transactions in line with Basel rules, the largest of which was USD $1 billion [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Combined Basel compliance and structuring expertise to facilitate transactions with P&L exceeding USD $600 million. Transactions cleared internal Return on Capital hurdle rate, and enabled the bank to win the mandate by providing finer client pricing [Include industry-specific terminology, such as Basel Compliance, P&L, Return on Capital, etc. where possible and provide elaborations on how you were involved]
- Performed critical analysis of operational risk management at the bank’s operations hub in Chennai, India. Personally analysed and identified gaps, working with local teams to fix these gaps
JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, SINGAPORE
- Led team of 30 associates and analysts to manage a portfolio of corporates and banks, primarily in Singapore and Malaysia. Deliverables included credit risk analysis, credit limit sanctions, deal structuring, covenant stipulation, and deal execution [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous similar workscopes.]
- Responsible for building and designing Governance, Risk and Oversight (GRO) framework for business operational risk teams including identifying operational risks & gaps and formulating & implementing key controls to manage and mitigate those risks [Always spell out the words first followed by the acronym in parentheses even if the acronym is widely used in the industry to ensure clarity and ease of understanding]
- Defined Key Risk Indicator (KRI) standards and rolled out implementation methodology across HBOS Group to identify operational risks and propose preventive and corrective measures capable of monitoring and managing operational risks
- Analysed all internal procedures and recommended improvements in various procedures; identified potential risks and conducted various ad hoc reviews for processes
- Achieved zero NPL on 5 billion USD worth of loans through tight control over covenants, comparing time series development and developing regional and global benchmarks to identify impact on Portfolio Risk parameters [Include career achievements to make your CV memorable, and include metrics to substantiate your contributions where possible.]
- Supported sales team in doubling client coverage base in 1 year, leading to three-fold increase in net income
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Master of Science in Risk & Finance, London School of Economics, London, the United Kingdom | 2001
- Bachelor of Business Administration, National University of Singapore, Singapore | 1997
- Languages: English, Mandarin
- Availability: 2 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Risk Manager Resume Sample above?
About the Risk Manager Role
Risk managers play an important role within an organization, especially in companies that handle financial and/or private information such as banks and insurance companies. Any form of accidents or data loss can result in dire situations which can lead to the downfall of the company.
While the functions of risk managers may not be exceptionally noticeable in everyday operations, they are the ones who work hard to identify and mitigate any sorts of risks that may possess a threat to smooth business operations. With all sorts of hacking techniques and global uncertainties out in the world today, the demand for risk managers only seems to increase as companies pull all stops to ensure they are guarded from all kinds of risk.
In this post, we will show you how you can tailor your resume to reflect not only your experience, but also include the necessary skill sets such as leadership and problem-solving skills to impress your potential employers to score your risk management dream job.
Key Pointers Hiring Managers Look for in Risk Manager Resumes
- Strong Foundation in Risk Management: Employers will be looking for your experience in managing risk and how you handle and resolve issues in crisis situations. Citing examples of past achievements will help you drive the message that you have got what it takes to take on the position.
- Leadership Skills: It is important to be proactive and take the initiative when managing risks. How you manage to lead your team to instill the culture of proactive risk management and effectively execute risk procedures can play a huge part in avoiding crisis situations.
- Analysis and Problem-Solving Skills: Disasters can sometimes hit at the least expected times without warning. In such situations, possessing exceptional analysis and problem-solving skills to find the root cause of the problem and resolve the issue in the shortest time possible would serve as important assets.
Additional Risk Manager Resume Writing Tips
- Share some of the risk governance and/or business improvements you have established or further developed to reduce risk occurrences and streamline processes in crisis situations.
- Talk about some successful risk management cases you have worked with to give the hiring company a good feel of your capabilities. Make sure to share the results of the projects you’ve managed.
Risk Management Job Opportunities
- The first place you need to look for risk management jobs in is financial institutions. Connect with multiple banks, insurance firms, and similar companies in Singapore and Asia to learn more about their job openings for risk managers.
- Sign up for an account and create an impressive profile on eFinancial Careers Singapore, a job portal in Singapore that is exclusively designed for financial professionals. From their website, it provides job seekers an “access to career-changing roles from across the industry from leading brands to niche boutiques.”
- Scour other job portals like JobsDB or Jobstreet for risk management jobs and opportunities. You may also want to check out our complete list of job sites in Singapore to help you get started. Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Singapore to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Enroll in training programmes and courses such as the FRM Certification to help you boost your qualification as a professional risk manager.
- If you started to work in a bank, make sure to stay up to at least 2 years to identify internal opportunities and movements available for you within the same organisation. Operational risk management roles can expand into other similar functions such as internal audit, internal control, or corporate governance, while market and credit risk can lead you to a route into product control. Some corporate banks in Asia even hire credit-risk professionals for relationship manager roles.
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guides on finding jobs through social media and writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Your possibilities are endless. Just be sure to identify your specific career goal and start working you way to achieve your dreams.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
- Not sure about your career? How about a professional career coaching call from an expert career coach?
More Useful Links
If you found this article on risk manager resume sample useful, you might also like: