Here’s a sample Cover Letter we recently produced for a Marketing, Sales & Business Development in Singapore.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the Marketing, Sales & Business Development Role
- What Hiring Manager Look For In Marketing, Sales & Business Development Cover Letter
- Marketing, Sales & Business Development Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
Marketing, Sales & Business Development Cover Letter [Full Sample]
Here’s a full Marketing, Sales & Business Development Cover Letter sample, which we wrote for a client recently. This is for a Senior manager, but it can definitely be adapted for different roles too.
[If you know the name of the Hiring Manager, personalise your application by addressing the person directly. Job ads on LinkedIn, for example, display the name of the person posting the ad.]
I am writing to express my interest in the position of Marketing, Sales & Business Development Director at XYZ Co. Through my >12-year career, I’ve come to specialise in spearheading and implementing winning sales, marketing & business development plans for [industries] in high growth markets across Asia Pacific. I excel at commercial negotiations and client relations, and am highly familiar with utilising trade marketing, channel marketing, and market penetration strategies to deliver sustained business growth. As such, I am confident I am an ideal candidate for XYZ Co. [Summarise your work experience as a marketing, sales & business development director, which will help give the hiring manager an idea of what you can do.]
- Presently, I am Senior Sales & Marketing Manager with 123 Inc, where I lead marketing and commercial strategy across all channels in 4 Southeast Asia markets, overseeing a cross-functional team of 6, and managing a USD3M budget. Amongst my various achievements during my tenure, I am most proud of having spearheaded business penetration into new market segments, securing 5 new client accounts that brought in annual sales revenues of USD8M, as well as increasing [Name of product/category] market share by 30% through expansion of sales channels [Cite a recent achievement that has quantifiable metrics to support your capabilities, but do be mindful of your company’s confidentiality clause!]
I’m positive that my background in marketing and business strategy, coupled with my practical experience building high-performing teams and definitive revenue and sales growth strategies, will allow me to contribute effectively to XYZ Co’s continued performance, particularly by designing new business development initiatives that will propel growth of XYZ Co’s market share. [Focus on complementary skills that were not previously mentioned, but are directly relevant to the target role, which the firm could be looking for.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of being part of such a renowned firm, and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to XYZ Co. I appreciate your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +65 12 9123 4567 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. [Wrap up with your contact details, so that the hiring manager can easily follow up with you.]
About the Marketing, Sales & Business Development Director Role
The Marketing, Sales & Business Development Director role encompasses several work scopes.
On the Marketing front:
- You’re in charge of building brand awareness and expanding brand presence.
- At a director level, your role typically involves setting and overseeing marketing direction and strategies, aligning marketing plans with stakeholders and partners, and managing teams to driving marketing efforts.
- You’d also be expected to manage and maintain partnerships with external stakeholders, in line with company business goals.
Sales and Business Development:
- You’re responsible for driving revenue growth.
- Typically, this involves identifying and developing new business opportunities, and directing all sales activities within the company to increase sales.
- At the director level, you’re required to lead the sales team, with the aim of driving and improving the team’s performance to achieve sales goals.
You’ll need to be adept in business negotiations to excel in this role. Strong business acumen, persuasive skills, problem-solving abilities, as well as excellent communication and leadership are key traits and soft skills required for this position.
What Hiring Managers Look For in Marketing, Sales & Business Development Director Cover Letters
- Marketing, Sales & Business Development roles can encompass quite a variety of scopes! Be clear in describing your work experiences, skills and achievements, and identifying specifically what you can bring to the role and organisation – this helps the hiring manager better assess that you are an ideal fit.
- Include tangible business results you’ve achieved – use numbers! For Marketing, Sales & Business Development, these could range from % revenue gain, key accounts captured, cost savings, ROI from marketing campaigns, or other achievements within a time period.
- People skills critical for a role of this nature. Draw attention to your ability to communicate and work effectively with teams and stakeholders across organisational levels, as well as nurture and maintain relationships with key partners and clients.
- Let your enthusiasm, passion and energy shine through! You’re in sales, so this is the best time to show you KNOW how to make a good pitch – and a strong close. Express how keen you are to take on this role, and remember to thank the recruiter for their time too!
Marketing, Sales and Business Development Job Opportunities
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.
- How to Write a Cover Letter in 2023 | Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide - November 2, 2023
- 11 Secret Resume Tips To Improve Your Resume - October 29, 2023
- How To Write Great Achievements In Your Resume (with Examples) - September 16, 2023