Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for an oil and gas engineer in Singapore
OIL & GAS ENGINEER
Tel No.: +65 XXXX XXXX | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Nationality: Singaporean
- Skilled engineer with over 8 years of experience in semiconductor and oil and gas industries. Completed stints at leading firms such as Shell & ExxonMobil. [This opening line perfectly captures a strong summary, citing that you have worked for big brands.]
- Experienced in full spectrum of production management from machine setup to optimization and maintenance.
- Strong technical skills and sharp ability to identify problems and solve them.
- Adept at coordinating between various teams to complete projects within budget and resource restraints.
- Excellent interpersonal skills towards building relationships at all organisational levels.
- Software: AUTOCAD, Uni-graphics, SAP, MATLAB, SAP, Microsoft Office Suite
- Theory and Practical Knowledge: Equipment Degradation Documentation, Magnetic Particle Testing, Liquid Penetrant Testing, Radiography.
- Statistical Tools: SPC, Pareto Analysis
- Process Methodologies: 5 Sigma, Value Stream Mapping, JIT
[List down all the software, programs, and tools you’ve experienced using in order to give hiring managers an idea of what you’re capable working with.]
ASM TEHNOLOGY, SINGAPORE
- Lead team of 15 to manage all aspects of semiconductor etching operation; constantly monitor production metrics, identify bottlenecks and organize daily operator meeting to communicate production goals [The opening line captures all the reader needs to know about this role]
- Perform internal process audits to ensure compliance with ES16949 and adherence to general corporate guidelines
- Liaise closely with cross functional teams to troubleshoot failures, brainstorm design improvements and plan implementation schedules for projects and equipment modifications [It is always good to mention how you work with cross functional teams as it demonstrates leadership. Mention specific projects, if any]
- Spearhead testing and commissioning of new machinery in 2008 and 2010; setup machine line, troubleshoot failures and optimize parameters to maximise production output
- Conduct training sessions for new employees during On-Job-Training (OJT) program; prepare training documents, organize schedule, identify and track key KPIs to measure training effectiveness
- Key member of company Quality Improvement Team; actively identify process yield losses, propose rectification solutions and record process improvements
- Liaise closely with customers regarding inventoried and non-inventoried items in production
- Participate in monthly committee meetings regarding chemical safety measures for lead frame production
- Pivotal team member in implementation of new systematic approach for etching; process improved production output from 40,000 strips to 60,000 strips per day [Cite metrics to substantiate your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Successfully completed 6-month industrial attachment at ExxonMobil refinery [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about more junior workscopes.]
- Supported full spectrum of installation and maintenance of various oil and gas systems; collaborated closely with Inspection engineers, Plant Engineering Company and Setsco Services
- Identified corrosion areas and monitored equipment using Equipment Degradation Documentation (EDD), Magnetic Particle Testing (MPT), Liquid Penetrant Test (LPT) and Radiography Testing (RT)
- Key team member in overhaul of heat exchanger unit; inspected corrosion, liaised with contractors to determine ideal resolution with minimal downtime
- Assisted in investigations to resolve furnace heating issue; successfully diagnosed problem as clogging due to contaminants
SHELL EASTERN PETROLEUM, SINGAPORE
- Monitored hydrogen chloride and hydrogen sulphide emissions in Catalytic Reforming and Hydro-sulphurizer units; assisted process technologists, plant manager and shift controllers to monitor and rectify situation [A single line is sufficient for a junior position so long ago.]
- Successfully troubleshot primary mode of failure in Catalytic Reforming Unit; solution eliminated corrosion issues plaguing system
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Masters in Science, Mechanical Engineering (Offshore Oil & Gas Specialization), National University of Singapore | 2012
- Bachelors of Engineering, Materials Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore | 2008
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering, Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore | 2002
AWARDS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Certified Internal Auditor ISO/TS (16949:2009) & ISO (14001:2004) | 2011
- Certified in Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA) | 2011
[Cite certification(s) that can boost your qualification as an IT project manager]
- Languages: English
- Availability: 2 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Oil and Gas Resume Sample above?
With the global problems the oil and gas industry is currently facing, it may be quite a challenge to prove yourself and why you are the right person to be hired for a particular position within the sector.
It is, therefore, important that you prepare a well-crafted oil and gas resume where you can demonstrate your skills, strengths, and achievements.
Here is our guide on how to create a winning oil and gas resume.
Key Pointers Recruiters Look For In Oil and Gas Resumes:
- Your ability to deliver full end-to-end projects
- Your experience in comprehending business needs and translating them into technical specifications
- Proven leadership skills in managing teams and delivering large projects on time and under budget
Writing an Oil and Gas Resume
1. Resume Header
Ensure your header clearly states your Name, Email Address and Contact Number. There is no need to put your home address or identification (NRIC) number.
2. Executive Summary
The executive summary gives a quick overview of your work history. Here, we want to communicate your strong work ethic, desire to learn and leadership abilities, if any. If you’ve got domain expertise in the field you’re applying for, do heavily emphasise that.
3. Technical Skills
It is highly recommended to include a technical skills table in your resume. This will help the recruiter gain a quick understanding of your skills in a single glance.
4. Work Experiences
Always break your work experiences into 2 parts – your daily workscope and your achievements.
For the daily workscope, include a high level summary. Workscopes which are implied can be omitted. Remember, you want to keep your resume short and sharp for the recruiter.
This section includes all the keywords resume scanning softwares often use. Its important to place key softwares/languages here relevant to the job ad you’re applying for. Scan the job application and parrot back the key phrases they’ve mentioned into your resume.
5. Key Achievements
Your achievements section is critical to differentiating your application from that of your peers. Include projects which you have led and their resulting tangible business benefits. These benefits can be in the form of:
- Cost savings to the firm
- New revenue gains
- Better / Streamlined processes
- Awards received during tenure
Always tie back your projects to business benefits. This is what the hiring manager and employer want to see. Ultimately, they want to know you can bring great value to their organisation.
As far as possible do include metrics or numbers in your achievements. This helps to add substance to your resume and give the reader an objective view of your skills and abilities.
Oil and Gas Job Opportunities
- Scour websites like JobsDB or Jobstreet for marketing jobs and opportunities. You may also want to check out our complete list of job sites in Singapore to help you get started.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Singapore to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guides on finding jobs through social media and writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Keep working hard. Get ahead of the competition.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
- Not sure about your career? How about a professional career coaching call from an expert career coach?
If you found this article on oil and gas resume sample useful, you might also like: