Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a secretary in Singapore.
Tel.: +65 XXXX XXXX | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Nationality: Singaporean
- Communications graduate with strong work experience in performing secretarial, receptionist, and customer service functions. Keen on pursuing administrative role within IT or media industries
- Experience serving top management in Fortune 500 companies and providing secretarial support to CEOs and MDs of various cultural backgrounds
- Customer-oriented with exceptional communications and organisational skills. Flexible and versatile, able to multitask and adapt to different work environments to meet organisational goals
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to build relationships with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate.Briefly mentioning about what industry you are interested in, as well as your past secretarial experience, will establish the focus of your current career goal.]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Personal Assistance||Organisational Skills|
|Expat Management||Administrative Tasks|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key secretarial phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
APPLE INC., SINGAPORE
- Provide full spectrum of secretarial support to CEO and other senior executives of Fortune 500 company [This is a strong opening line as it clearly states the focus of responsibility. Highlighting that the candidate works for a Fortune 500 company makes the opening line very impactful. In 1 line, the reader knows exactly the what the role is about.]
- Manage CEO’s schedule, including setting up appointments with various clients, arranging travel schedules, and recording of minutes of meetings [These are the usual secretarial duties. Add more tasks accordingly.]
- Support expatriate executives on application of Employment/Independent passes, relocation, arrangement for car and accommodation, and other personal and family concerns [This line adds value to the candidate’s profile because of experience in expat management.]
- Liaise with airlines and travel management companies to coordinate all aspects of travel arrangements for senior executives
- Handle confidential contracts, documents, and general correspondences
- Assist in planning and organising company events, dinners, parties, training sessions, and conferences
- Created new macros for excel resulting in 20 man hours saved during weekly timesheet processing [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Successfully arranged and organised annual out-of-country planning conference of top executives, including flight, accommodations, car services, and food within time and budget constraints
- Promoted from Admin Officer to Executive Secretary in 2015 [Mention promotions and awards you’ve received.]
- Awarded “Best Employee” for 2 consecutive years due to excellent performance
PERSONAL ASSISTANT TO MANAGING DIRECTOR Jan 2012 – Oct 2015
RECEPTIONIST Mar 2009 – Dec 2011
RESORTS WORLD SENTOSA, SINGAPORE
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors of Arts in Communications, University of Western Sydney, Singapore | 2009
- Certificate in Business Studies (Secretarial Practice), Institute of Technical Education, Singapore | 2005
COURSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Employment Act, Singapore National Employers Federation (2015)
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, In-house workshop (2012)
[This section enables you to list down the courses you’ve attended and certifications you’ve received that will add strength to your profile.]
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite
- Languages: English and Chinese
- Availability: Immediately
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Secretary Resume Sample above?
Not all organisations in Singapore have positions available for secretaries. Usually, a secretary is necessary for senior executives who require assistance in handling day-to-day responsibilities.
About the Secretary Role
Secretaries are essential in carrying out a variety of office functions and administrative tasks whether for a particular office employee or the entire organisation. Their broad description of tasks and responsibilities usually make it difficult for them to craft a resume that completely sums up what they do.
If you are struggling with your CV, too, here is a guide we created for you on how to create a resume that stands out among other candidates.
What Hiring Managers Look For in Secretary Resumes
- Well-Rounded: While secretarial duties may be your specialisation, showcasing other skills can help you land a better or higher position in an organization.
- Technical Skills: More than data entry, highlight other technical knowledge you may be familiar with that may add value to your overall profile.
- Organisational Skills: Are you highly experienced in arranging travels, scheduling appointments, taking down minutes of the meetings, and other tasks that demonstrate how organized and systematic you are?
Additional Secretary Resume Writing Tips
- Secretarial jobs typically involve a wide range of skills and functions. Highlight the scope of your competencies and experience as they relate directly to the job opportunity you are looking to apply for. To do this, review the job listing for the position you are applying for and customize your CV according to the requirements without altering your actual experiences.
- Include training sessions you’ve attended, as well as certifications you’ve received over the course of time. All these can add value to your profile.
Secretarial Job Opportunities
- Sign up to and scour job search websites for jobs and opportunities. Explore these top job search portals or our complete list of job sites in Singapore to get started.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these top recruitment agencies and headhunters in Singapore to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Get the basics of resume writing right – learn our secrets to crafting a killer CV in our ultimate resume guide.
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Building up your LinkedIn presence is one of the best things you can do for yourself in today’s job search landscape. Having an up-to-date LinkedIn profile, filled with the right keywords, makes you easily discoverable to potential employers. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s how to write a great LinkedIn profile.
- Landed an interview? Great! Be sure to prepare well for these common interview questions, and follow our tips and tricks to ace your job interview.
- Benchmark your salary against others in your industry, to negotiate the pay you deserve. Check out our complete Singapore salary guide for your industry this year.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article on Secretary resume sample useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- List of Headhunters in Singapore
- Singapore Salary Guide for All Industries
- Complete List of Job Sites in Singapore
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Return to Ultimate Singapore Job Search Hub
Free Confidential CV Feedback
Unsure if your CV will impress the recruiter? Fill out the form below and our team of HR experts will get in touch with you. We’ll assess your resume, work experience and future career goals. Our experts will then highlight areas for improvement in your CV, specific for job applications in Singapore. This professional consultation is absolutely free, and completely non-obligatory!