Here’s a Cover Letter sample we recently produced for a Software Engineer in Singapore:
| +65 9123 4567 | firstname.lastname@example.org |
Dear [Hiring Manager’s Name],
[If you know the hiring manager’s name, personalise and address them directly. LinkedIn job ads, for example, often state the name of the person posting the ad.]
Application for the Position of Senior Software Engineer
It is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the position of Senior Software Engineer at XYZ Company. Through my 8-year career, I’ve come to specialise in developing, testing and delivering over 10 scalable and reusable enterprise web applications for start-ups and SMEs across the Fintech, Banking and Insurance industries. I particularly excel in Java, Python and JSON, and building RESTful web services. I’m experienced in leading multiple cross-functional development teams of up to 15 using various Agile methodologies, namely Kanban, FDD and DSDM. As such, I am confident that I will be able to continue designing secure, scalable and maintainable software that enables XYZ Company to achieve its business objectives. [Identify your best skills and focus areas that best fits the job requirements and include this in the overview of your experiences. Metrics help to establish context and scale for your work.]
- Presently, I am a Senior Software Engineer with ABC Software, where I direct teams of up to 8 full-stack developers, overseeing end-to-end software development life cycle of our 3 core products, used by over 130 clients. Amongst my various achievements during my tenure, I am most proud of driving the software development life cycle for 2 core products that are used by >50K end users, contributing to 85% of ABC Software’s monthly revenue stream. I oversaw the entire software development life cycle of both projects, from requirements gathering to final rollout. [Highlight your best achievements and include metrics where possible! For more senior HR Manager roles, showcase your ability to lead strategic HR initiatives that deliver impact on employees and within the organisation]
XYZ Company has been heralded by many technological publications as the future of electronic payments. Industry pioneers such as PayPal and Square have also shared that XYZ Company is championing the innovation and development of secure and transparent electronic payments. My extensive background and knowledge in Fintech and the financial industry, coupled with my technical expertise and practical experience in product development will allow me to effectively drive the development of secure and scalable projects that are built with high quality code. [Focus again on your key skills as required by the job ad. Highlight relevant working experiences and that are directly relevant to the target job role.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of being part of such a renowned firm, and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to XYZ Company. I appreciate your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +65 9123 4567 or by email at email@example.com. [End off your Cover Letter with a call-to-action – show your enthusiasm in meeting your potential employer, and provide them ways you can be contacted.]
Want a winning Cover Letter like the Software Engineer Sample above?
About the Software Engineer Role
Software engineers build computer applications and software according to rigorous software development methodologies and design principles. They are familiar with the entire software development life cycle, from requirement gathering to development, documentation, testing, debugging, and product rollout.
The best software engineers build scalable, maintainable and reusable code that is efficient and easy to understand. They also juggle effectively between business and technology, and are able to translate complex business objectives and into technical requirements that can be integrated as lines of code in their software.
Software engineers are also curious lifelong learners who consistently expose themselves to a variety of programming languages and frameworks. These are always changing, and the best software developers are constantly broadening their knowledge and skill sets.
While software development and programming bootcamps are common these days, applicants with a Computer Science or related technical degree are preferred candidates. A Computer Science degree reassures employers that the candidate has a basic understanding of overarching software development principles and patterns that a bootcamp may not teach. For applicants who do not have a Computer Science degree, it is best to showcase your skills with Personal Projects.
What Hiring Managers Look for in Software Engineer Cover Letters
- Be specific about the tools you are familiar with! Software development is a massive field with hundreds of languages, frameworks and tools. Be specific about the languages and frameworks you excel in, and let your Achievements demonstrate your proficiency.
- While software engineering is a technical role, it is ideal if you can tie in how your software development experiences and Achievements contribute to your company’s revenue stream and bottom line. You could even share how you have improved efficiency in operations or processes; for example, custom scripts you’ve written and implemented to enhance your team’s productivity.
- If you are a fresh graduate, or are thinking of making a career switch to Software Development, mention personal projects that you have embarked on or completed outside of your day job. This demonstrates your initiative and zeal for learning, placing you a cut above other prospective candidates.
Software Engineer Job Opportunities
- Sign up to and scour job search websites for jobs and opportunities. Explore these top job search portals or our complete list of job sites in Singapore to get started.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these top recruitment agencies and headhunters in Singapore to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Your Cover Letter is your golden ticket of opportunity to your dream career. Download our Cover Letter template and follow our Ultimate Cover Letter Guide to stand out!
- Of course, a stellar resume is just as essential to your job hunt! Create a WINNING Resume and send it along with your Cover Letter.
- Building up your LinkedIn presence is one of the best things you can do for yourself in today’s job search landscape. Having an up-to-date LinkedIn profile, filled with the right keywords, makes you easily discoverable to potential employers. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s how to write a great LinkedIn profile.
- Landed an interview? Great! Be sure to prepare well for these common interview questions, and follow our tips and tricks to ace your job interview.
- Benchmark your salary against others in your industry, to negotiate the pay you deserve. Check out our complete Singapore salary guide for your industry this year
- Why not get some extra help in your job search journey? The Singapore government has some great job search support programmes and resources that you could benefit from.
- Before you start sending out applications, why not get a free CV Feedback Session with our team?
More Useful Links
If you found this article on Software Engineer Cover Letter sample useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- List of Headhunters in Singapore
- Singapore Salary Guide for All Industries
- Complete List of Job Sites in Singapore
- Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Return to Ultimate Singapore Job Search Hub
Free Confidential CV Feedback
Unsure if your CV will impress the recruiter? Fill out the form below and our team of HR experts will get in touch with you. We’ll assess your resume, work experience and future career goals. Our experts will then highlight areas for improvement in your CV, specific for job applications in Singapore. This professional consultation is absolutely free, and completely non-obligatory!