Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a professional Mechanical Engineer in Singapore.
JOHN MICHAEL LIM
SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Tel.: +65 XXXX XXXX | Email: email@example.com | Nationality: Singaporean
- Professional engineer with proven track record in overseeing construction projects, quantity surveying, engineering site management, and creating innovative, cost-efficient designs
- Solid expertise in applied research, prototype development, new content design, simulation, testing, and validation
- Strong understanding of engineering mechanics, principles, and materials, as well as hands-on experience on actual machining, brazing, soldering, adhesive bonding, and welding
- Proven ability to lead teams, meet tight deadlines and effectively supervise team progress. Adept at coordinating between various teams to complete projects within budget and resource restraints
- Excellent interpersonal skills towards building relationships at all organisational levels
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Mentioning that you are both knowledgable at enginnering principles and have hands-on experience will make you a more competitive applicant. So make sure to include important details of your technical skills and knowledge under the executive summary.]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Mechanical Engineering||Project Management|
|Quantity Surveying||Quality Control|
|Site Management||Workplace Safety & Health|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key mechanical engineering phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
- Software: MS Office Suite, MS Project, Autodesk, AutoCAD, Mathcad, LabVIEW, MATLAB, Mathematica, SolidWorks
- Research & Design: Project / Quantification Planning, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), ISO & Safety Compliance, On- and Off-line Test Development, Statistical / Process Analysis, Design & Validation, Manufacturing Specifications
[This section enables you to list down the technical skills and tools you’re knowledgable of, giving hiring managers an idea of what you’re capable of using and if your technical skills can help improve or add value to the organisation you are planning to get into.]
GLOBAL ENGINEERING PTE LTD, SINGAPORE
- Lead engineer responsible in overseeing design of electronic power supply products for well-known brands including Cisco Systems, HP, and Microsoft [This opening line clearly states the focus of the responsibility and enables the reader to know what the role is about.]
- Manage design of products from conceptual design to end product and safety approval and production
- Oversee Imaginative, 3D modelling and assembly of entire product in Pro/E, and Thermal Analysis in CF Design. Produce BOM and drawings after design is finalised. [Toss is some mechanical engineering jargons here.]
- Supervise design of sheet metal chassis parts/assembly/plastic parts and packaging design [Mention tools and products you’re familiar with to give hiring managers an idea what you’re capable of working with.]
- Liaise with vendors to ensure required materials delivered on time
- Lead vendor negotiations to achieve most cost-effective price packages for materials and parts
- Regularly communicate with customers to solve technical problems for products and understand customer needs and requirements [Customer service and communication skills are reflected here.]
- Led redesign of service station subsystem and streamlined manufacturing processes that resulted in 25% savings in cost
- Successfully designed complex electro-mechanical subsystems and transmission subsystems
- Singlehandedly troubleshot various products such as 4000W product for Microsoft and 900W for HP; identified problems and suggested solutions for fan failure, insulation damage, shock and vibration failure and thermal failure
[Always try to find ways to include actual numbers in your resume. It’s very important to quantify achievements so that hiring managers can see the impact of your work, the scope of your responsibilities and can relate your past work to their business. This is much more effective than general statements about job duties.]
VENTURE CORPORATION LTD, SINGAPORE
- Collaborate with Project Planning Engineers in managing construction works according to engineering drawings and specifications [This is a brief but concise description of a previous role. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are written briefly.]
- Provide effective resolution of technical issues and perform quality checks with suppliers, subcontractors, statutory authorities and client representatives
- Oversee and ensure compliance to workplace safety requirements on engineering sites
- Contributed technical expertise and inputs on practicality and feasibility of proposed business expansion plans to support senior management decision-making
- Played active role in supervising and mentoring junior or trainee Site Engineers
[For roles without quantifiable metrics, speak about notable contributions you have made that demonstrate leadership skills.]
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineer (Hons), National University of Singapore, Singapore | 2005
- Languages: English and Chinese
- Availability: Immediately
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Mechanical Engineer Resume Sample above?
About the Mechanical Engineer Role
Mechanical Engineering covers very diverse technical areas. This field of engineering involves the design, manufacturing and operations of practically all structures with moving parts, from minute microelectromechanical sensors to heavy equipment and aircrafts.
Some of the major areas where the services of mechanical engineers are vital are in power systems, energy, air conditioning, automation, automotive, facilities maintenance and many others. Mechanical engineers are sought after in almost all manufacturing industries, in the energy and transportation sectors, and even in buildings where facilities are installed.
Prospective employers will most naturally prefer multi-faceted candidates who can handle most mechanical engineering activities. But in reality, it is difficult to find one who has the complete mechanical engineering disciplines and experience. It is important, therefore, for an applicant to differentiate himself from the rest of the competition and specify his areas of strength and his potentials to be able to take on more roles than he has previously experienced.
What Hiring Managers Look For in Mechanical Engineer Resumes
- Problem Solving Skills: Engineers are expected to be able to find creative technical solutions to problems they are presented with, in the course of their work. Cite your effective application of your analytical skills in projects or assignments you led or were involved in.
- Quick Thinking Ability: Aside from good analytical skills, potential employers also look for candidates who can think on their feet. Engineers are expected to provide immediate action to avoid disruption of operations such as in production lines or services such as in air conditioning or elevators. It will be to your advantage to show employers you have this skill, in your resume.
- Leadership: Many of the activities you will undertake as a mechanical engineer in the company will need to be accomplished with and through other people. Show through your resume how you demonstrated your coordinating skills and leadership skills.
- Being Innovative: A dynamic mechanical engineer challenges the status quo and initiates innovations to the existing process. List the engineering projects you managed, if any, and the innovations you introduced with the improvements to the company’s operations they resulted in.
Additional Mechanical Engineer Resume Writing Tips
- List down and describe all the skills relevant to the position you apply for, including the certifications related to your technical skills, such as, CAD, machine shop fabrication, welding, refrigeration, and materials processing.
- Also indicate in your resume the equipment you have worked with, such as, generators, motors, boilers, air handling units, chillers, elevators, heavy equipment, kilns, presses, etc.
- Do not assume that all the readers of your resume are engineers. They are not. Avoid the use of too many technical jargons.
Mechanical Engineer Job Opportunities
- Scour websites like JobsDB or Jobstreet for engineering jobs and opportunities. You may also want to check out our complete list of job sites in Singapore to help you get started.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Singapore to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guides on finding jobs through social media and writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Keep working hard. Get ahead of the competition.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
- Not sure about your career? How about a professional career coaching call from an expert career coach?
More Useful Links
If you found this article on mechanical engineer resume sample useful, you might also like: