Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a college student in Singapore.
B.Sc. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT
Tel.: +65 3163 2960 | Email: email@example.com | Nationality: Singaporean
- Final year Mechanical Engineering student looking for opportunity to apply skills and experience in the Oil & Gas industry.
- Possesses internship experience in national leader in power and automation technologies, and in multinational glass manufacturer
- Proven leadership skills through school-based activities and volunteer experience
- Highly eloquent and outgoing, with excellent interpersonal skills and experience in building relationships at all organisational levels and across various cultures
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Briefly mentioning about what industry you are interested in, as well as your internship experience, will establish a focus of your abilities.]
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Engineering (Second Upper), National University of Singapore | 2016
- Dean’s list award in 2014 & 2015 for outstanding academic performance
- Received A+ for final year project on thermal performance of ceramic bonded aerogels
[Include significant awards and recognition you’ve had in the university]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Solidworks||Root Cause Analysis (RCA)|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad, to get past the automated ATS CV scanner which most firms use. As this is a profile for a mechanical engineer, we’ve filled it with the relevant technical skills]
ABB PTE LTD, SINGAPORE
- Supported 5 axis robot division. Responsible for assisting in on-site programming, customer needs analysis and custom solution design for niche applications. [This is a good opening line as it clearly states the focus and size of your responsibility. In 1 line, the reader knows exactly what the role is about.]
- Studied clients unique needs, brainstormed with engineers on potential solutions and produced detailed drawings (Solidwords) of solutions including custom machine and robot grip mounts
- Guided and mentored standalone customers; prepared presentation slides to deliver basic robot programming training to local engineers
- Led team of 4 interns and coordinated with Marketing department to prepare for Tech Asia robot launch event, programming demonstration units to perform stunts to attract customers
AAC PTE LTD, SINGAPORE
- Carried out 3D design drawing and used SolidWorks software to carry out solid modelling computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided engineering (CAE) [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously held. Notice also how this workscope is shorter. No need to go deep detail about older workscopes, especially if the job you intend to go for is more similar to your most recent/current job.]
- Led department’s Level 2 training programme, guiding the Head of Technicians and an administrative staff member to create training modules and carry out demonstrations; partnered with the department manager to ensure fulfilment of programme’s objectives
VOLUNTEER & EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
MEDICAL CAMPAIGN IN SENGKANG
- Liaised with heads of plantation estates and hospitals in the area to arrange for medical assistance for the needy in three different areas over 3 weeks
CHARITY NIGHT 2013
- Led 3 departments (Public Relations, Sponsorship, and Technical & Media) over a 3 month period to organise a fundraising concert
- Directly negotiated with companies, arranging sponsorship agreements and advertisement requirements, totalling a sum of S$2,000
[Since you haven’t finished college yet and have less work experience, it is encouraged that you include some information about your volunteer work and extra-curricular activities, since they will demonstrate your leadership skills. Additionally, some recruiters do find information about your extra-curricular activities interesting and might call you up because of that, especially if you’ve done some pretty unconventional activities.]
- Languages: English, Mandarin
- Availability: 1 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Do You Need Help With Your Engineering CV?
As a college student looking for an internship or applying for your very first job, it’s understandable that you might be a little anxious about what you should do or how you should go about contacting companies with your resume.
Do be sure about what job you want to apply for when crafting your resume, and gear its content towards that – after all, it’s no use for you to highlight your programming skills if you’re applying for an internship in the finance industry.
Also, make sure that the information in your CV is relevant and current – it’s usually better for you to include information about the recent academic paper you got published, rather than about your Singapore Youth Festival accomplishments way back in your JC days.
With the recent influx of people into the job market, it is important to reflect your expertise and ability well in your CV in order to stand out from the crowd. As such, to ensure that you are ahead of the competition, we will show you how you can write a winning resume that highlights your capabilities.
What Hiring Managers Look For in College Student Resumes
- Your resume should provide a complete overview of your skills and experience, detailing in whatever length necessary your experience with in the industry that you’re applying to, as well as your own educational credentials and certifications.
- Important qualities that you can consider including in your resume include critical thinking and problem-solving skills, communication (both written and verbal), resourcefulness, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a larger department. You should make sure to showcase these skills and abilities in your resume.
Additional College Resume Writing Tips
- Your resume needs to be easy for recruiters to read quickly and absorb the key points. You may, therefore, wish to break your previous internship/work experiences into two parts – your daily workscope, and your achievements. For the daily workscope, make sure that is it short and to the point – workscopes which are implied in your job title can be omitted. Remember, you want to keep your resume short and sharp for recruiters.
- As a student with little or no work experience yet, it would be unusual to have a very lengthy resume or CV. Make sure to keep your resume to 1-2 pages with all relevant information present.
Job and Internship Opportunities for College Students
- Usually, as a college student, your university will organise regular job fairs for you to network and learn more about various companies in Singapore. These fairs are a good place for you to get a sense of who is hiring, as well as where you might wish to apply to for internships/jobs.
- Additionally, you may scour websites like JobsDB or Jobstreet for internships and job opportunities. You may also want to check out our complete list of job sites in Singapore to help you get started.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Consider new and relevant licenses, certifications, and workshops if you would like to specialise in a certain area. For instance, the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) qualification is a common route into the Big Four accounting firms in Singapore, and so is the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) qualification.
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guides on finding jobs through social media and writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Keep working hard. Get ahead of the competition.
Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article on college student resume sample useful, you might also like: