Here is a sample resume we recently produced for a full-time writer here in Singapore.
Tel.: +65 XXXX XXXX | Email: email@example.com | Nationality: Singaporean
- Professional writer with 10+ years of robust experience in writing and editing sports, travel, and lifestyle materials for online and print media.
- Published writer in local and international magazines including The Globe Magazine, Jab Journal, and Family Living.
- Well-versed in online and traditional researching; adept at identifying key lifestyle trends and developing interesting story angles. Successful at building key relationships, sourcing for contacts and conducting interviews.
- Creative, resourceful, and possess proven ability to deliver high quality work within tight timelines and other resource restraints.
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Briefly mentioning about your published works can help establish your profile as a professional writer.]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Writing & Editing||Communications|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key writing phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
SENIOR WRITER Aug 2010 – Sep 2013
XYZ LIFESTYLE GROUP, SINGAPORE
- Lead team of 12 writers in producing articles for The Globe Magazine, Singapore’s leading travel and lifestyle magazine with 25,000+ print circulation and 150,000+ monthly unique visitors and Jab Journal, a premium sports guide in Singapore. [This is the perfect opening line as it speaks about size of team and clearly states the focus of responsibility. In 1 line, the reader knows exactly the what the role is about.]
- Assisted Editor-in-Chief in conducting overall checking and revision of write-ups. Manage rewriting, correcting of grammar, developing headings, and arranging story flow to ensure all print and online content are in accordance with house style. [Toss in some writing and editing jargon here.]
- Conduct research and interviews to develop new ideas and conceptualise interesting story angles for Family Living online magazine with 20,000+ subscribers. [Research is a value-added skill in writing. Make sure you mention about your research and interview skills.]
- Manage editorial calendar and ensure that content submissions and publishing for online and print materials are within schedule
- Identify local and regional sports, travel, and lifestyle trends and pitch story ideas
Selected to cover various stories on media trips across Asian region
- Wrote and published more than 250 magazine articles for the last 6 years. Demonstrated excellent and professional writing skills and got promoted from Senior Writer to Assistant Editor [Talk about promotions you earned and awards you received.]
- Awarded Most Resourceful Writer from 2011-2013 for producing unique and interesting stories for Jab Journal.
- Instrumental in increasing monthly unique visitors of Family Living website by 25% year-on-year. [Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Provide high-quality writing service to Singaporean and international clients including Philips, SMRT, Singapore Airlines, Ford, NTUC, Bioskin, Western Digital, Divine Couture, FedEx, D’Open Kitchen, CHIVAS, TW Steel, and more. [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Citing previous clients can help strengthen your previous writing experience.]
- Create print and online materials including web content, blogs, articles, press releases, ad copy, taglines, brochures, inserts, and company profiles.
- Perform research, data verification, translation, and phone interviews whenever necessary.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature, SIM University, Singapore | 2005
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite, Wordpress, Hootsuite
- Languages: English, Mandarin, Spanish, and Japanese
- Availability: 1 month’s notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Writer Resume Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of resume samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
It seems intuitive that writers would not need some guidelines when composing their own resumes. After all, writing is their expertise. They might have been doing this all their life!
However, you should know that resume writing is an art that requires a unique set of skills and techniques different from the usual form of writing. Whether you are a freelance blog writer or a professional news writer, we are presenting a guide on how to craft a resume writer, as well as a CV sample for the Singapore market.
What Hiring Managers Look For In Writer Resumes
- First and foremost, your excellent writing skills should stand out. After all, you are trying to prove that you are the ideal writer they need. Make sure your sentence construction, grammar, as well as the use of punctuation and capitalisation are flawless. Hiring managers will get easily turned off with even slight writing errors.
- Demonstrate your knowledge and flexibility in writing for various forms of media. Many companies look for an all-around writer who can write for both online and print materials.
- Make sure that you are up-to-date on writing trends and best practices. Mention training, conferences, as well as competitions you’ve participated to show that you continue to learn new knowledge.
Additional Resume Writing Tips
- If you are applying for a job in an industry different from what you’re used to writing about, make sure to highlight your capability in acquiring new knowledge and flexibility in writing about different field.
- Aside from your resume, most employers or hiring managers looking for writers would want to see the style and quality of your previous works. To make this readily available, you may want to attach sample write-ups (choose some of your best work) or a portfolio of your previous writing stints. This would save time between you and the hiring managers.
Writing Job Opportunities
- Sign up to and scour job search websites for jobs and opportunities. Explore these top job search portals or our complete list of job sites in Singapore to get started.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these top recruitment agencies and headhunters in Singapore to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Get the basics of resume writing right – learn our secrets to crafting a killer CV in our ultimate resume guide.
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Building up your LinkedIn presence is one of the best things you can do for yourself in today’s job search landscape. Having an up-to-date LinkedIn profile, filled with the right keywords, makes you easily discoverable to potential employers. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s how to write a great LinkedIn profile.
- Landed an interview? Great! Be sure to prepare well for these common interview questions, and follow our tips and tricks to ace your job interview.
- Benchmark your salary against others in your industry, to negotiate the pay you deserve. Check out our complete Singapore salary guide for your industry this year.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article on Writer resume sample useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- List of Headhunters in Singapore
- Singapore Salary Guide for All Industries
- Complete List of Job Sites in Singapore
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Return to Ultimate Singapore Job Search Hub
Free Confidential CV Feedback
Unsure if your CV will impress the recruiter? Fill out the form below and our team of HR experts will get in touch with you. We’ll assess your resume, work experience and future career goals. Our experts will then highlight areas for improvement in your CV, specific for job applications in Singapore. This professional consultation is absolutely free, and completely non-obligatory!